Novell has announced the release of Novell Filr, a file sharing solution that provides seamless, anywhere, any-device access to corporate files, while giving IT complete control of all shared files. Novell Filr is the result of Novell’s history as the pioneer of networked file and print services and, unlike cloud-based file sharing solutions like Dropbox, Skydrive or Google Drive, it is built specifically for the enterprise.
Novell Filr leverages an organisation’s existing on-premise infrastructure, eliminating the need to manage third-party services, rebuild access controls, or regulate the use of unapproved file sharing applications. By integrating with existing file systems, Novell Filr essentially mobilises the files users have already created, right where they’re already stored—without the security or compliance risks that come with storing files in a cloud controlled by a third party.
According to a recent Gartner report, file synchronisation and sharing are critical capabilities for organisations with a highly mobile workforce and the need to accommodate today’s BYOD trends. “We expect IT organisations will face increasing demand for these capabilities, with deeper focus on security and compliance by regulated or security-conscious enterprises,” said Gartner Analysts Monica Basso and Jeffrey Mann.
The wild proliferation of mobile devices has created a pressing need not only for mobile device management, but for mobile content management. The ability to let mobile workers access, share and collaborate on files is key to any mobility initiative and a critical component of contemporary business success. Novell Filr enables all of these capabilities, while keeping files on the corporate server with their access rights, quotas, backup systems, firewalls, disaster recovery protocols and existing policies intact.
“With our 30-year legacy in file and networking services and our commitment to providing security-focused solutions that drive workplace productivity, we are changing the game with Novell Filr – a true enterprise-quality solution for mobile file access and sharing,” said Bob Flynn, Novell President and General Manager. “Unlike any other file sharing solution on the market today, Novell Filr provides the access and collaboration capabilities to keep employees happy and productive, while meeting IT’s need for enhanced security, compliance and the ability to leverage established policies and protocols.”
Novell Filr enables organisations to maintain productivity anytime, anywhere, while taking advantage of existing security policies and procedures for secure file sharing. Some of Novell Filr’s features include:
- On Premise Solution: Avoid abandoning the infrastructure you’ve already built and help keep files secure in accordance with established data security policies and procedures.
- Immediate Access to Files: Novell Filr leverages existing policies and procedures to auto-populate employees’ folders, thus providing immediate access to files across a network.
- Cross-Platform Integration: Enables businesses to leverage existing investments, including NetIQ eDirectory and Microsoft Active Directory.
- Secure File Sharing Internally and Externally: While files can be shared inside and outside the organisation, they remain on existing enterprise file servers, eliminating the need to move or duplicate files.
- Global Search: Search capabilities are granted across organisations based on users’ access rights.
- Offline Access: Users can access files from anywhere, at any time, on any device – whether connected or not – and changes will be synchronised when back online.
- Collaboration: Provides the ability for numerous employees to add commentary and work on a single document simultaneously while keeping the document secure.
Novell Filr is the newest addition to Novell’s rapidly growing mobility portfolio and a response to enterprise demand for secure mobile file access and sharing.
Original article here: